Thanks to everyone who has been voting for Defenders of Wildlife each week to help us try to win $200,000 in funding from Members Project from American Express. You can vote once a week through February 20, 2011 and this week you’re voting for sea turtles!
The seven species of sea turtles now on the earth are some of the planet’s most ancient creatures. Yet, each of these ancient mariners is threatened with extinction… unless we help!
Help us secure the funds we need to save sea turtles. Please vote today!
Did You Know…? Green sea turtles can stay under water for as long as five hours even though the length of a feeding dive is usually five minutes or less. Their heart rate slows to conserve oxygen: nine minutes may elapse between heartbeats.
Two hundred thousand dollars can do a lot of good for sea turtles and other wildlife.
It can help us prevent deadly oil spills that can poison and drown sea turtles. It can help reduce unsafe fishing practices that can inadvertently capture, wound or kill these amazing creatures. And it can help us protect the beach habitat that sea turtles need to survive.
How to Vote for Defenders
The current round of voting runs through midnight on Sunday, February 20, 2011. You can vote once a week throughout the voting period. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Defenders Members Project page at www.defenders.org/membersproject.
- Scroll down to the Vote section in the lower left corner of the page. The Members Project is a partnership between American Express and TakePart, so you need to be a member of TakePart to vote. First, click the Sign Up And Vote button. NOTE: If you’re already registered and logged in with TakePart, the button will say Vote For This Charity and clicking it will take you to the final step below.
- Click the Register to Vote button.
- A form will pop up. Fill out all the required fields and make sure you check the boxes to accept the terms for both TakePart and Members Project. NOTE: You can use your full name as your username, including a space, if you want.
- Once you’re registered, scroll down the page and click the Defenders logo. A little box will pop up.
- Click the Vote button in the popup. You’ll be prompted to confirm your choice.
That’s it! Thanks for voting for Defenders of Wildlife!
Thanks to the dedicated support of caring wildlife champions like you, Defenders is currently leading the pack in the Environment and Wildlife category, with 81% of the votes. But with more than a month left to go in this round, we need to make sure we stay in the lead! Remember, you can vote once a week until February 20th!